What is the ASTYM System?
The ASTYM system is an advanced form of soft tissue mobilization, which enables clinicians to effectively initiate remodeling and regeneration of dysfunctional tissue. The ASTYM System has been proven to be a highly effective treatment for chronic tendinitis/tendinosis.
Treatment is performed with ergonomically designed instruments to allow rapid identification and effective treatment of areas exhibiting texture changes associated with soft tissue scar/fibrosis or chronic tendinopathy.
Exercise and activity are then integrated to guide the body's healing in the most advantageous manner possible. Continuation of work, athletic and recreational activities throughout the treatment process promotes optimal healing.
The ASTYM System is used in settings ranging from therapy clinics to hospitals to industrial rehabilitation. This proven treatment helps countless patients every day.
How does the ASTYM System Work?
Adhesions and inappropriate fibrosis within soft tissue can result from trauma, surgery, immobilization or repetitive strain. The ASTYM System stimulates the breakdown of this dysfunctional tissue and allows functional restoration to occur. Scientific research, substantial clinicaloutcomes and clinical experience indicate the following process:
- Soft tissue adhesions and resulting restriction are identified and broken down.
- Controlled microtrauma initiates a local healing response that leads to the resorption of inappropriate fibrosis or excessive scar tissue.
- In chronic tendinopathies, doses of controlled microtrauma stimulate regeneration of the affected soft tissue.
- Existing collagen is then remodeled and new collagen is influenced by a program of stretching, exercise and functional activities.
What's different about the ASTYM System?
- It is supported by scientific research and outcomes.
- It demonstrates success when other approaches have failed.
- It has high patient compliance.
- It often enables workers to stay on their job and athletes to stay in their sport.
- It often decreases the need for surgical intervention.
- It provides maximum results with a minimum number of treatments through an emphasis on re-establishing function.
Patients are encouraged to remain active throughout the treatment process.
The ASTYM System improves patients' quality of life.
Diagnoses that respond well to the ASTYM System
Patients who are experiencing pain, loss of motion and/or loss of function following surgery, injury, cummulative trauma disorders and chronic irritation/tendonosis, often benefit from the ASTYM System. Some of the clinical diagnoses, which have responded well to this treatment are:
- Trigger Finger
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow)
- Medial Epicondylitis (Golfer's Elbow)
- DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis
- Wrist Sprains
- Shoulder Pain
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Chronic Ankle Sprains
- Achilles Tendinitis
- Shin Splints
- Patellar Tendinitis
- Hamstring Strains
- IT Band Syndrome
- Post-surgical Scarring
- Post-surgical Fibrosis
- Hip Pain/Trochanteric Bursitis
- SI and Low Back Pain
- Most Forms of Chronic Tendinopathies
- Soft Tissue Changes Associated with Degenerative Arthritis